SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc2
Adrian Bunk wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:17:45PM -0500, Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>Adrian Bunk wrote:

>>>Nice catch and thanks for your report.
>>>
>>>The bug is obvious. A possible patch is below (and at least
>>>drivers/media/video/saa7134/Makefile contains the same bug),
>>>but I'd really prfer getting rid of the -DHAVE_* stuff in the
>>>Makefiles and using Kconfig variables instead.
>>>
>>We need to keep the -DHAVE_FOO stuff there, in order to satisfy the
>>following requirements:
>>
>>1) To allow the option of only selecting those frontends required by
>>specific dvb hardware, without forcing all modules to be loaded... This
>>feature is optional, and I implemented it in response to the demand from
>>some hybrid v4l/dvb device users, (and myself) Why force a driver to
>>load every frontend module if it isnt required by the hardware? --
>>apparantly the implementation was less than perfect. I had originally
>>intended for this to live in -mm for a bit, but when the merge window
>>came around, Mauro had sent it upstream before I had the chance to
>>create alternate patches for linus' tree.
>>
>>2) (more importantly) To allow v4l-kernel cvs to retain backwards
>>compatability with older kernels..
>>
>>I had originally tried to rename these to use the Kconfig variables, but
>>LKML people asked for it to be changed back.
>>
>>Please do not remove this feature -- if it is broken, then we should try
>>to fix it, rather than remove it. If the specific frontend selection
>>isn't working, then I guess we can revert back to the old behavior where
>>every frontend is forced, but I would rather not.
>>

>I do not yet know how to fix it, but configurations like
>CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB=y, CONFIG_DVB_CX22702=m are currently compile
>errors.

AHA! I have not tested this with cx88-dvb compiled into the kernel (y)
-- I have only tested as a module (m) ..... Looks like I have a lot of
testing to do before the end of this week.

Adrian, does it work if you select CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB_ALL_FRONTENDS
?? Selecting this option is, in effect, exactly equal to the old
behavior of forcing support for every single frontend supported by
cx88-dvb to be built.

Looks like the problem is the following:
If cx88-dvb is selected (y), then then the frontends should also be
selected (y) ... but instead, they are being selected (m)

Meanwhile, if cx88-dvb is selected (m) then everything is fine, since
the frontends are also selected(m) ...

Is my assessment correct?

-Michael Krufky

  Last update: 2005-11-23 21:53    [W:0.144 / U:0.764 seconds]