SubjectRe: Christmas list for the kernel
Russell King wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:43:58AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
>> My system has:
>> 2 serial
>>
>> In /sys/bus/platform/devices I see this:
>> serial8250
>> shouldn't there be entries for all of the legacy devices?
>>
>> In /dev
>> ttyS0
>> ttyS1
>> ttyS2
>> ttyS3
>
> You're basically confused about serial ports. The kernel serial devices
> whether or not hardware is found, to allow programs such as setserial to
> function.
>
> If you disagree with that, there'll be an equal number of people who
> have serial cards that need setserial who will in turn disagree with
> you.

But if no hardware is connected to those devices, then where does the
driver route the setserial stuff?

We had a similar discussion regarding hal and the final solution was to
check the uart type to determine if the port was there or not.

Rgds
Pierre

  Last update: 2005-11-23 16:22    [W:0.104 / U:6.396 seconds]