SubjectGeneration numbers in stat was Re: what is slashdot's answer to ZFS?
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net> writes:

> [Tru64 UNIX] However, in the rare case when a user application has been
> deleting open files, and a file serial number is reused, a third structure
> member in <sys/stat.h>, the file generation number, is needed to uniquely
> identify a file. This member, st_gen, is used in addition to st_ino and
> st_dev.

Sounds like a cool idea. Many fs already maintain this information
in the kernel. We still had some unused pad space in the struct stat
so it could be implemented without any compatibility issues
(e.g. in place of __pad0). On old kernels it would be always 0.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-11-23 15:56    [W:0.132 / U:0.776 seconds]