SubjectRe: Resume from swsusp stopped working with 2.6.14 and 2.6.15-rc1
Date
Dmitry Torokhov <dtor_core@ameritech.net> writes:

> Swsusp: do not time-out when stopping tasks while resuming
>
> When stopping tasks during esume process there is no point of
> eastablishing a timeout because teh process is past the point
> of no return; there is no possible recovery from failure. If
> stopping tasks fails resume is aborted and user is forced to
> do fsck anyway.

If a clueless users voice counts for anything: I couldn't agree more.

A failed resume is a near catastrophy if you use and trust swsusp. And
how could it ever be useful if you don't?

I would much prefer a very long (indefinite) timeout, and to manually
have to force a reboot without resume. This is an absolutely last
resort and there is no need whatsoever to automatically go there.
Maybe that even would give me a chance to fix some hardware problem
causing the timeout, and then retry the resume.

Please do everything possible to ensure that a resume will never fail
unnecessarily. I can't see how some arbitrary timeout could be
necessary.

Just my 2 øre.

Bjørn
--
Cardboard cut-outs are fun, huh? So, a short man ain't got nothing in
the world these days?