    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > > No trivial fix was apparent - perhaps we should disable the compat wrappers
    > > if CONFIG_EXT3=n and/or CONFIG_JBD=n.
    > That's already done for a lot of other wrappers, so would be fine too

    That may be the right thing, but looking at compat-ioctl.c I don't see
    anything that really depends on ext3, it just wants to have the data
    structure definitions in _case_ ext3 migth be enabled. Or did I miss

    In general, I don't like code that depends on a module having been marked
    as a module. What if you compile the kernel and then decide later that you
    need the jbd/ext3 modules, so you compile and install those on an already
    running kernel?

    So almost all "#ifdef CONFIG_xyzzy_MODULE" usages tend to be fundamentally
    buggy: they expect all modules to come pre-configured, which may be ok for
    a distro kernel, but it's a bit against the whole point of being a module,
    isn't it?

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:14.692 seconds]