SubjectRe: Christmas list for the kernel
On 11/22/05, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Maw, 2005-11-22 at 16:41 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > An example of this is that the serial driver is hard coded to report
> > four legacy serial ports when my system physically only has two. I
> > have to change a #define and recompile the kernel to change this.
>
> It does an autodetect sequence to find the ports. If it reports ttyS0-S3
> your system probably has them, they may just not be wired to external
> ports and that is kinda tricky to autodetect

The ports really aren't there. If we had a driver for the LPC chip it
would see that the chip only implemented two ports. On modern
hardware a driver for LPC/super IO chips might be enough to do all of
the needed legacy detection.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com