SubjectRe: Christmas list for the kernel
On Maw, 2005-11-22 at 16:41 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> An example of this is that the serial driver is hard coded to report
> four legacy serial ports when my system physically only has two. I
> have to change a #define and recompile the kernel to change this.

It does an autodetect sequence to find the ports. If it reports ttyS0-S3
your system probably has them, they may just not be wired to external
ports and that is kinda tricky to autodetect

> looks for everything again anyway. In a more friendly system X would
> use the info the kernel provides and automatically configure itself
> for the devices present or hotplugged. You could get rid of your
> xorg.cong file in this model.

Not really as half of xorg.conf is preferences

  Last update: 2005-11-23 00:07    [W:0.143 / U:3.060 seconds]