    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] do not select NET_CLS
    From
    From: Patrick McHardy <kaber@trash.net>
    Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:16:18 +0100

    > Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > This patch therefore changes NET_CLS back to the 2.6.14 status quo of
    > > being an user-visible option.
    >
    > I disagree with this patch. NET_CLS enables the infrastructure support
    > for classifiers. Users generally don't care about infrastructure but
    > directly usable things, so I'd prefer to have it automatically selected.
    > And there are lots of other cases where enabling a module causes changes
    > in the kernel image. Some examples include some of the netfilter stuff,
    > the IPsec transforms, NET_CLS_ROUTE4, the ieee80211 stuff, and a lot
    > more.

    I agree with Patrick.

    Changing config options of any kind can result in the main kernel
    image needing to be rebuilt. One thing we can do to prevent human
    mistakes, is to make the "make modules" pass do a quick "is vmlinux
    uptodate?" check, and if not print out an error message explaining the
    situation and aborting the "make modules" attempt.

      Last update: 2005-11-22 23:39    [W:0.019 / U:29.680 seconds]