    SubjectRe: Christmas list for the kernel
    On 11/22/05, Kasper Sandberg <lkml@metanurb.dk> wrote:
    > > Currently you have to compile most of this stuff into the kernel.
    > forgive my ignorance, but whats stopping you from doing this now?

    It would be better if all of the legacy drivers could exist on
    initramfs and only be loaded if the actual hardware is present. With
    the current code someone like Redhat has to compile all of the legacy
    support into their distribution kernel. That code will be present even
    on new systems that don't have the hardware.

    An example of this is that the serial driver is hard coded to report
    four legacy serial ports when my system physically only has two. I
    have to change a #define and recompile the kernel to change this.

    The goal should be able to build something like Knoppix without
    Knoppix needing any device probing scripts. Linux is 90% of the way
    there but not 100% yet.

    X is also part of the problem. Even if the kernel nicely identifies
    all of the video hardware and input devices, X ignores this info and
    looks for everything again anyway. In a more friendly system X would
    use the info the kernel provides and automatically configure itself
    for the devices present or hotplugged. You could get rid of your
    xorg.cong file in this model.

    --
    Jon Smirl
    jonsmirl@gmail.com