    SubjectChristmas list for the kernel
    There have been recent comments about the pace of kernel development
    slowing. What are the major areas that still need major work? When the
    thread slows down maybe Linus will tell us what the top ten items
    really are.

    To get things started here's a few that I would add:

    1) graphics, it is a total mess.

    2) get Xen merged, virtualization will be key on the server.
    Hotplugable CPUs and memory are tied up in this one.

    3) Reiser4 merge, Rieser4 itself is not important, it's the new
    concepts about file systems that Reiser4 brings to the kernel that are
    important. Get the issues around the VFS layer sorted out so that this
    can happen. We need some forward evolution in file system concepts.

    4) Merge klibc and fix up the driver system so that everything is
    hotplugable. This means no more need to configure drivers in the
    kernel, the right drivers will just load automatically.

    Jon Smirl

      Last update: 2005-11-22 19:33    [W:0.018 / U:40.496 seconds]