    SubjectRe: Does Linux support powering down SATA drives?
    Marc Perkel wrote:
    > Trying to save power consumption. I have a backup drive that is used
    > only once a day to back up the main drive. So - why should I run it more
    > that 10 minutes a day? What I'd like to do is keep it in an off state
    > and then at night power it on, mount it up, do the backup, unmount it,
    > and shut it down. Can I do that?

    Support is being added soon, I think the latest 2.6.15-rc1 supports
    passthru. I had to install an extra patch due to a bug where it used the
    same IDE device irrespective of one asking for /dev/sda or /dev/sdb
    I think the fix will be in rc2.

    hdparm -S60 works fine for me. It spins down, and therefore stay nices a
    cool.
    hdparm -y should work, and is like an immeadiate -S
    hdparm -Y is kind of dangerous at the moment. It powers down the drive,
    but will not come back unless the entire IDE bus goes through a reset.
    The feature to support that is called hotplug, but that is not
    implemented yet for SATA. So, basically, if you do hdparm -Y, you won't
    be able to wake it up again at the moment. At least hdparm -S60 is a
    start towards what you want.

    James

      Last update: 2005-11-20 02:04    [W:0.034 / U:2.404 seconds]