SubjectRe: Swap Bug Massive EXT3 Corruption on FC4 with 2.6.14 update
jmerkey wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> On Iau, 2005-11-17 at 11:05 -0700, jmerkey wrote:
>>

>>> To reproduce, install FC2 on an /dev/hda device with defaults, then
>>> install FC4 on a /dev/hdb device, build the 2.6.14 update for
>>> FC4 and watch your data disappear.
>>>

>> Should be reported in the FC bugzilla although I've not been able to
>> reproduce it.
>>

> Alan,
>
> I'll report over there. I reproduced it with an install of Suse 10.0
> and FC4 and got to the bottom of it. During install of FC4, anaconda
> allocates
> the swap partitions assigned to Suse 10.0 on /dev/hda (or any swap
> partitions on the primary drive) for use during the install. After
> the install
> completes, FC4 uses this LABEL-SWAP-hda2 (etc.) method for determining
> which partitions to use for swap. What happened here it turned
> out was not related to swap extents, but misidentifcation of which
> partition was assigned this LABEL-XXX tag. Upon first boot of FC4,
> it allocated /dev/hda6 (the / partitition) as swap and started
> swapping to the / partition for Suse 10.0. I first saw it when I
> installed FC4 on a system
> with FC2. After FC2 / partition got trashed, I reinstalled with Suse
> 10.0 (since I am porting DSFS to all of these distributions) and then
> reinstalled
> FC4 on /dev/hdb -- same thing happened again.
> I just finished reinstalling Suse 10.0 and tried with FC2 on
> /dev/hdb. FC2 does the same thing and gets mixed on on Swap on the
> /dev/hda device, but this time, it did not corrupt the Suse 10.0 on
> /dev/hda. This appears to be a bug in anaconda and the setup for the
> FCX distributions. ES and AS probably do the same thing since they
> use anaconda, so I would have someone look into this.
>
> Jeff

NOTE; One this that's unique in this case is that after I instal DSFS
rpms, I remove these LABEL-XXX constructs from the grub.conf and
/etc/fstab files and use the actual device names /dev/hdX. It seems
related to removing these labels in a running distribution.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-11-18 21:41    [W:0.400 / U:0.100 seconds]