    SubjectRe: Laptop mode causing writes to wrong sectors?
    Mr. Samwel,

    On 11/17/05, Bart Samwel <bart@samwel.tk> wrote:

    > OK, that's the second report then. I'm beginning to worry. :/
    >
    > Are you seeing any DMA timeout messages in your kernel log?

    Once, when my /var partition got trashed - about thirty or forty loud
    and scary messages from the IDE core saying that various disk accesses
    (i.e. normal read/writes) were failing. I do believe DMA was
    mentioned.

    Another time (i.e. just now), I got five Oopses in a row, most of them
    in kmem_cache_alloc() but with one in generic_aio_file_read().
    Unfortunately I am using fglrx right now so they are probably quite
    meaningless...*

    Most of the time though, I don't see anything.

    Fortunately the number of errors encouraged the kernel to remount R/O,
    so after a quick jump to single user mode and two e2fsck -f
    invocations, it was healed.

    > Also, both reports are on ext3, which might point to an ext3 problem
    > with long commit intervals.
    >
    > Bradley, Jan, since when have these problems been happening? Kernel
    > version-wise, I mean?

    They started with 2.6.13. I can't remember ever expereincing random
    partition trashing or random file corruption in 2.6.12. I tried
    2.6.14.1 - that kernel did Bad Things as well.

    So far though, as long as I stay on juice, 2.6.13 seems to behave.

    > --Bart

    Brad

    * - http://216.55.161.203/theonekea/misc/oopsen.txt
    --