SubjectRe: MOD_INC_USE_COUNT
On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:39:09PM +0800, Tony wrote:

> >>I have a radio connected to host using ethernet. I'm writing a radio
> >>driver that masquerade radio as a NIC. when the module is loaded, I just
> >>register_netdev a net_device struct, while unregister_netdev at module
> >>cleanup.
> >

> >register_netdev / unregister_netdev don't deal with the .owner stuff, so
> >your bug isn't there. If your NIC is a PCI card, it should register it's
> >driver through pci_register_driver which would deal with the necessary
> >reference counting. If it's implemented as a platform device you're
> >presumably calling driver_register() before platform_device_register() and
> >driver_register() would do the necessary magic for you. If you're using a
> >different bus it may have it's own variant of driver_register which you
> >should call. If you don't, you have a problem :-)
> >
> > Ralf
> >
> That is indeed my problem. My driver is none of types of drivers, it's
> just a software virtual one. I think I should mimic the way SLIP handle
> it. thank a loooooooot!!!

SLIP is a line discipline; it's reference counting happens through
tty_register_ldisc() but probably your code isn't a line discipline ...
You however might use the platform device code - see
include/linux/platform_device.h and the many users throughout the kernel.
The platform device concept was really meant to support physical hardware
but it should work just fine in your case. Maybe
drivers/net/mipsnet.c can serve as an example - it's a driver for virtual
NIC on a software emulator.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-11-16 14:27    [W:0.053 / U:0.216 seconds]