SubjectRe: [RFC] HOWTO do Linux kernel development - take 2
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:10:32PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:23:48AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > LDD (as you might have heard, it's also available online for free ;-) )
> > and the book by Robert Love are good starting points for learning kernel
> > programming, and they should IMHO be listed here.
>
> But that's what the Documentation/kernel-docs.txt file has in it. I

It seems you haven't looked at kernel-docs.txt before saying this...

kernel-docs.txt is so heavily outdated we should better remove it.

> don't want to get into judging which kernel books go into this file, as
> people might think I am a bit biased :)

Judging from the questions I see from newbies on linux-kernel (who
should be the target audience of your document), you are omitting the
answer to the most frequently asked question.

I'd say noone disagrees that LDD and the book by Robert Love are the
books mentioned most often (and by different kernel developers) when
people ask which book to read as introduction for kernel hacking.

> > > Becoming A Kernel Developer
> >

> > This list seems to be nearly dead, and it seems the following one is now
> > used instead:
> > http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/
>
> I do mention the kernelnewbies project, which includes the mailing list.
> I hope the mentor's project picks up, I just think not enough people
> realize it is there.

It's perhaps a bit out of the scope of this discussion, but do we really
need both of these lists? I don't see any real difference between them.

I'd say one of them is enough, or perhaps replace them with one at
kernel.org?

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.