    SubjectRe: + perfmon2-reserve-system-calls.patch added to -mm tree
    Andrew,

    On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 05:12:26PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > aargh. Any time anyone dinks with the syscall tables I have tons of fun
    > fixing up rejects. It doesn't help that both Stephane and Christoph's
    > patches were fairly broken.
    >
    > Rules:
    >
    > a) Keep unistd.h and the syscall tables in sync.
    >
    > b) Keep ppc32 and powerpc[64] in sync
    >
    > c) Add prototypes to syscalls.h (When the implementation goes in -
    > obviously not relevant when we're just reserving syscall slots)
    >
    > d) Some architectures have multiple syscall tables. Stephane, you
    > missed arch/ia64/ia32/ia32_entry.S, for example. But then, that looks
    > to be seriously out of date anyway. No idea what's going on there.

    This one corresponds to the system call table for X86 binaries running
    on Linux/ia64. This is used in combination with the hardware emulation
    in the processor. This is being replaced by full user level translation
    by Intel's IA32el libraries. The x86 binary is translated to IA-64 native
    code in user mode and then it makes IA-64 system calls. As such, the IA-32
    syscall emulation table is becoming obsolete as people upgrade to newer
    Linux distributions using IA32el. Tony correct me if I missed something.

    > e) review your work carefully. Grep the tree for, say, `getxattr' (or
    > any other syscall name which is unique-looking and which you expect all
    > architectures to implement).
    >
    > Anyway, I have a shower of fixup patches here. Hopefully it all landed OK.

    I apologize for generating some extra work for you. I saw you fixed the powerpc
    request for those two extra syscalls. Thanks.

    --
    -Stephane