SubjectRe: [RFC] HOWTO do Linux kernel development
2005/11/15, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:51:44PM +0800, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

> > > People do not seem to even realize Documentation/ is there :(
> >
> > Those who don't notice Documentation, don't deserve it, and are not
> > likely/willingly to be the audience,
>
> Actually this is exactly the audience this is for, people who do not
> know where to look for the stuff they are trying to find.
>
> Now getting people to realize that this is the file they really want to
> look at is a different task, but not impossible.

Seriously doubt it. Or even they find the howto in top directory, they
aren't going to persevere in finishing reading it. So please keep it
as short as possible to full achieve your goal.

> > > Now if those same people would notice anything in the root directory
> > > either, is another story...
> >
> > That is rather like top-posting or CAPITALIZATION, or spamming.
>
> Cool, I'm a top-poster, SPAMMER for creating a HOWTO file in the root
> directory of the kernel tree. And here I thought I had been called
> every bad name in the book before :)

np then, I've done my job as a reminder.
btw, also remember to add there a
tutorial-for-dummies-step-by-step-in-ten-days and the like.

> > > It's just a suggestion.
> >
> > We are unlikely to relocate files. So if it gets there, it'll stay
> > there all along.
>
> git makes it trivial to move files, so this is not true at all.

I mean we are unlikely/lazy to do relocation. So it's a
once-wrong-always-wrong thing.
--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/