    SubjectRe: [RFC] EDAC and the sysfs

    --- Doug Thompson <> wrote:

    > What is EDAC and what does it stand for?
    > EDAC= Error Detection And Correction.

    > > For PCI Parity Error detection controls and
    > > information files:
    > >
    > > /sys/devices/system/edac/pci
    > That kind of controls and files?

    I left out new PCI whitelist/blacklist control files I
    am also working on:

    Since some unmentioned (and expensive) pci boards fail
    to conform with the PCI spec when dealing with PCI
    parity status reporting (or they just plain have
    bugs), the pci scanning feature needs a whitelist or
    a blacklist of "vendor_id:device_id" to specificly
    scan or not scan.

    If there is a whitelist, no blacklist occurs. When a
    blacklist is written to, the whitelist is erased and
    devices on blacklist are skipped on the scanning.

    format of info to write to these controls, in hex:

    I have timed both ECC scanning and PCI parity

    ECC scanning on a dual opteron is 170 TSC clocks.

    PCI Parity for 24 devices is 65000 TSC clocks. Ouch!
    When all devices are blacklisted, the iterator is 2700
    TSC clocks.

    doug t

    "If you think Education is expensive, just try Ignorance"

    "Don't tell people HOW to do things, tell them WHAT you
    want and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
    Gen George Patton

      Last update: 2005-11-15 02:15    [W:0.019 / U:3.676 seconds]