SubjectRe: merge status
Andrew Morton wrote:
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:
>
>>it's my contributors who drop me in it
>>by leaving their patch sets until you declare a kernel, dumping the
>>integration testing on me in whatever time window is left.
>

> Yes, I think I'm noticing an uptick in patches as soon as a kernel is
> released.
>
> It's a bit irritating, and is unexpected (here, at least). I guess people
> like to hold onto their work for as long as possible so when they release
> it, it's in the best possible shape.
>
> I guess all we can do is to encourage people to merge up when it's working,
> not when it's time to merge it into mainline.
>
> One could just say "if I don't have it by the time 2.6.n is released, it
> goes into 2.6.n+2", but that's probably getting outside the realm of
> practicality.

Consider that people want to send you something which will work with the
new kernel and are holding back until they can send you something which
has a higher chance of working as delivered. If you want to avoid having
a rediff be part of the integration testing I thought you were trying to
avoid.

I interpreted that as people trying to make stuff easier for you.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)