SubjectRe: [patch 02/02] Debug option to write-protect rodata: the write protect logic and config option
2005/11/11, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>:
> > people objecting to that.
> > >
> > > (It's not clear cut: while the last bit of the kernel no longer is
> > > covered by a 2Mb tlb, most intel cpus have very few of such tlbs in the
> > > first place and this would free up one such tlb for other things (say
> > > the stack data) or even the userspace database), so it's not all that
> > > clear cut what the cost of this is)
> >
> > I'm dumb. But how is "the last bit of the kernel no longer is covered
> > by a 2Mb tlb"? Could you explain a bit more?
>
> in memory it'll look something like this
>
> 0 2 4 6
> -- kernel text -- + -- kernel text -- + --- k. text-- rodata -- + --
>
> normally the range from 0 to 6 is covered with 2Mb tlb's.
> Now to make rodata read only, the hugetlb entry covering 4-6 Mb range
> needs to be split into 4Kb entries, so that the rodata portion can have
> different permissions than the rest of that range.

Indeed. Thanks.

And we could also mark text section read-only and data/stack section
noexec if NX is supported. But I doubt the whole thing would really
help much. Kill the kernel thread? We can't. We only run into a panic.
Anyway I'd attach a quick patch to mark text section read only in the
next mail.

If it's ok, I'd add Kconfig support. Comments?
--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/