SubjectRe: New (now current development process)

--Al Viro <viro@ftp.linux.org.uk> wrote (on Monday, October 31, 2005 00:18:10 +0000):

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 01:45:43AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> The problem is that -mm* contains typically so many more or less
>> broken changes that any extensive work on there is futile
>> because you never know whose bugs you're debugging
>> (and if the patch that is broken will even make it anywhere)
>>
>> In short mainline is frozen too long and -mm* is too unstable.
>
> Besides, -mm is changing so fscking fast that it doesn't build on a lot
> of configs most of the time. And trying to keep track of it and at least
> deal with build breakage at real time is, IME, hopeless.

To be fair, it's been a lot better the last month than it has the 2 before
that, when it was really pretty scary.

If it helps, we can try to build a wider range of configs to test. And I
can try to hook Andrew up with something he can do a quick compile-farm
test on before release (though I think he has his own battery of stuff).

M.

  Last update: 2005-11-02 05:51    [W:0.120 / U:0.716 seconds]