SubjectRe: why is NFS performance poor when decompress linux kernel
On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 00:39 -0400, Xin Zhao wrote:
> I noticed that when doing large file copy or linux kernel compilation
> in a NFS direcotry, the performance is not bad compared to local disk
> filesystem such as ext2. However, if I do linux kernel tarball
> decompression on a NFS directory, the performance is much worse than
> local disk filesystem (over 3 times slower). Anybody know the reason?

Because NFS requires all writes to be synchronous by default, and
uncompressing the kernel is the most write intensive of those three
operations. Mount with the async option and the performance should be
closer to a local disk. Obviously this is more dangerous.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-10-08 08:03    [W:0.244 / U:0.224 seconds]