SubjectRe: freebox possible GPL violation
Hi,

>I might have misunderstood but I think that if you buy the hardware you
>cannot connect it to the DSLAM network anymore. So that only the boxes
>they own are connected to the DSLAM.

Again have you any proof that there aren't any Linux firmware in the
flash of the freebox ?
How do you explain that the boot sequence isn't stateless ?
Why in case of a firmware update, you have a special state of 10 seconds
were the freebox seem to download and write some data somewhere ?

So yes may be you can't connect anymore to the free DSLAM, but there is
may be still GPL data in the flash.

>Are you sure this point has been clarified in court in the past ?
>If not, I would bet on it (for the specific case of settop boxes).

For french law I don't know, but someone on gpl-violation this is true
for de and au.

>I mentioned in another mail the case of a mobile phone network
>infrastructure where the network nodes to which mobile phones are
>connecting are running Linux. It seems to be an "internal use" (as it
>never leak out of the company network) and yet providing a service to
>customers.

No the freebox is more like a dvb box that is lended by a satellite
provider and could do firmware update via satellite.

I don't know if there are similar case for dvb box.

Pierre

  Last update: 2005-10-06 14:04    [W:0.064 / U:0.188 seconds]