    SubjectRE: kernel performance update - 2.6.14-rc3
    Nick Piggin wrote on Thursday, October 06, 2005 3:04 AM
    > Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > >>dbench is catching some attention. We just ran it with default
    > >>parameter. I don't think default parameter is the right one to use
    > >>on some of our configurations. For example, it shows +100% improvement
    > >
    > > never ever consider dbench a serious benchmark; the thing is you can
    > > make dbench a lot better very easy; just make the kernel run one thread
    > > at a time until completion. dbench really gives very variable results,
    > > but it is not really possible to say if +100% or -100% is an improvement
    > > or a degredation for real life. So please just don't run it, or at least
    > > don't interpret the results in a "higher is better" way.
    > >
    > As a disk IO performance benchmark you are absolutely right.
    > Some people like using it to test VM scalability and throughput
    > if it is being used on tmpfs. In that case the results are
    > generally more stable.

    Thank you for the suggestion, we will look into the options. I agree here
    as well, and I also don't consider dbench as a serious disk I/O performance
    benchmark. There are other workloads that we ran (IOzone, aiostress, and my
    favorite "industry standard database workload") which covers disk I/O side
    pretty well.

    - Ken

      Last update: 2005-10-06 20:39    [W:0.029 / U:54.752 seconds]