    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:31:59 +0200, Helge Hafting said:

    > You can have a restricted "copy" program, but nothing prevents a
    > user from making his own copy program, if he can read the file.

    Right, but a properly functioning and sufficiently fascist MAC system won't let
    the user create a file in other security contexts that can be read by people
    outside that context. See the recent work on supporting MLS (multi-level
    security) and MCS (multi-category) in the SELinux tree...

    > Or the user can load the file into the intended app, and "save as"

    Again, "save as" doesn't create a file the other person can read unless the
    other person is authorized.

    > to some other filename and directory. Or the user can do a screendump,

    You *did* know that there's X hooks for Selinux, so that unauthorized applications
    can't snarf the pixels of somebody else's window, right? ;)

    > or even take a picture of the screen.

    Not much we can do here. On the other hand, it certainly creates a very low
    upper limit on how much info you can extract how quickly... ;)

    > Company policy may of course forbid the user to bring a camera, just as it
    > might forbid the user to do "chmod o+r" on important files. I am not
    > sure that we need the OS to try to enforce such things.

    No, that is indeed outside the kernel's area.
      Last update: 2005-10-06 20:37    [W:0.020 / U:69.588 seconds]