SubjectRe: Instability in kernel version 2.6.12.5

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Justin R. Smith wrote:

> funky=
>
> 1. the clock is frozen at about 2331 the previous night. Setting it is
> possible, but it remains frozen at whatever time one set it to.
>
> 2. Any X app one starts hangs.
>
> 3. Many operations take an extraordinarily long time. Rebooting the system too
> > 30 minutes (all spent shutting down. The restart was at the normal speed).

This all sounds like there are no timer interrupts happening (or they are
extremely slowed down). The "X app" thing is likely because a lot of X
apps end up doing things that are itimer-related and do gettimeofday() for
X events. I assume things like "sleep 1" also hung forever..

It could also be that some networking stuff corrupted the timers somehow -
maybe the interrupt happens, but longer timers end up being infinitely
delayed by the timer just never triggering. There was some report of
double-added neighbor entry timers recently.

> I can easily modify the firewall to block the incoming connections, but this
> strikes me as showing an instability in the Linux kernel: initiating a large
> number of failed ssh connections should not be able to corrupt the kernel.
>
> Any suggestions?

I don't recall any similar bug-reports. Did you have any kernel events
printed at all during this time?

If you can trigger it again, it would be very interesting to see if
/proc/timer indicates that the timer interrupt happens, just to check
that. Also, to see if there's some timer list corruption, testign whether
"sleep 1" is broken (the timers are also sorted according to how long they
are, so testing other timeouts can be interesting too).

For example, maybe some networking timer just changes its "expires" field
_while_ a timer is active directly rather than using "mod_timer()", which
can screw up the sorting - and that can affect other timers.

If you can figure out a way to re-create this, people would be very
interested, I bet.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:1.693 / U:0.136 seconds]