    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    Chase Venters wrote:

    >On Wednesday 05 October 2005 05:26 am, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
    >>>Now I certainly wouldn't advocate a Windows-style registry,
    >>>because I think it's full of obvious problems.
    >> such as? :)
    >If such a thing were even going to be attempted on UNIX, it would have to be
    >so different than the NT approach that it would stop looking like a registry
    All good points, but perhaps the most compelling to me is that virtually
    every successful windows virus out there does its real damage by
    modifying the registry to replace key actions, associate bad actions
    with good ones and just generally screw the system up...

    One could argue that this is no different than a hapless victim running
    as root getting his/her /etc/* files modified but:
    a. the decentralization there makes it easy to distinguish those files
    which have been touched and how to fix them
    b. they are all ASCII
    c. they are not modified often, most almost never after initial system
    d. you don't have every app that runs mod'ing those files... (in fact
    few are even allowed to)
    e. what the !@#$ would I want to cache my most recently visited URLs in
    the same place I decide where the entry hooks to my video driver live?

    Anyone suggesting that Linux or Unix in general should inherit this,
    what I consider, most fatal flaw of all the flaws of windows should be
    dealt with harshly...

    Sorry, could not resist responding - I cannot count the hours I have
    spent searching and clearing registry entries in family and friend's
    computers after they downloaded the latest cool virus...

      Last update: 2005-10-06 17:13    [W:0.024 / U:7.624 seconds]