SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?

D. Hazelton wrote:

>>Novell Netware type permissions. ACLs are a step in the right
>>direction but Linux isn't any where near where Novell was back in
>>1990. Linux lets you - for example - to delete files that you have
>>no read or write access rights to.
>As someone else pointed out, this is because unlinking is related to
>your access permissions on the parent directory and not the file.
Right - that's Unix "inside the box" thinking. The idea is to make the
operating system smarter so that the user doesn't have to deal with
what's computer friendly - but reather what makes sense to the user.
From a user's perspective if you have not rights to access a file then
why should you be allowed to delete it?

Now - the idea is to create choice. If you need to emulate Unix nehavior
for compatibility that's fine. But I would migrate away from that into a
permissions paradygme that worked like Netware.

I started with Netware and I'm spoiled. They had it right 15 years ago
and Linux isn't any where near what I was with Netware and DOS in 1990.
Once you've had this kind of permission power Linux is a real big step down.

So - the thread is about the future so I say - time to fix Unix.

  Last update: 2005-10-05 07:51    [W:0.305 / U:1.100 seconds]