    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton writes:

    [...]

    > > That's exactly the point: Unix file system model is more flexible than
    > > alternatives.
    >
    > *grin*. sorry - i have to disagree with you (but see below).
    >
    > i was called in to help a friend of mine at EDS to do a bastion sftp
    > server to write some selinux policy files because POSIX filepermissions
    > could not fulfil the requirements.

    First, I was talking about flexibility attained through the separation
    of notions of file and index. You just claimed elsewhere that this is
    the direction ntfs took (with the introduction of hard-links).

    Then, every security model has its weakness and corner cases. Try to
    express

    rw-r-xrw- (0656)

    POSIX bits with canonical NT ACLs (hint: in NT allow-ACEs are
    accumulated).

    [...]

    > POSIX permissions were designed to fit into what... 16 bits,
    > so they didn't have a lot to play with.

    That very good property for a security model: simplicity is a virtue
    here.

    Nikita.

      Last update: 2005-10-05 14:19    [W:4.096 / U:0.108 seconds]