SubjectRE: what's next for the linux kernel?

There's no real need to hurry. The industry isn't going to shift its
focus to highly parallel systems in the near future. Highly parallel
systems have been around since the 60s, (when 'highly parallel' meant a
lot less than it does today, but was still parallel compared to typical
von neumann machines of the period.)

It's been fifteen years since I last played with them, and there's not
much chance that they'll get interesting in the near future.

They'll never go completely away, because there'll always be niches
where they make sense, but they'll never break out into the mainstream,
because those niches tend to get smaller, not larger, over time.

  Last update: 2005-10-04 06:14    [W:0.826 / U:0.284 seconds]