SubjectRe: [RFC] The driver model, I2C and gpio provision on Sharp SL-C1000 (Akita)
Hi!

> This code is the final link is getting akita working but I'm not sure
> its the right approach. I'm posting this in the hope someone might see a
> better way to achieve this driver's objectives. I'd like to get akita
> support into mainline and this is the only barrier.

Well, what you describe is not too nice, but I do not see nicer solutions :-(.

> I2C drivers appear relatively late in the boot procedure and changing
> that isn't practical. I therefore ended up writing akita-ioexp which

It seems that making i2c init early is only sane choice. I realize PC people
will hate it... but apart from that, why is it impractical?

> There is a fundamental problem with the lack of a proper gpio interface
> in Linux. Every driver does something different with them (be it pxa
> specific gpios, SCOOP gpios, those on a IO expander, those on a video
> chip (w100fb springs to mind) to name just the Zaurus specific ones.

Yup. GPIOs are not problem on i386, so noone solved this one :-(.

Pavel
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms