    SubjectRe: [patch 0/5] HW RNG cleanup & new drivers

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Deepak Saxena wrote:
    > I think moving it to user space will add more complexity for
    > the case where the HW unit is shared with an in in-kernel driver.

    Moving it to user space is just generally stupid.

    Often, the random stuff comes from chipsets, not the CPU itself. Not
    user-accessible at all, and even if it were, it would be a bad idea to
    have user space do things the kernel does normally ("what northbridge do I

    There may be use for a user-level library that handles the native CPU
    instructions for high performance, but that in no way negates the reason
    why /dev/random and friends exist in the first place.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:37.412 seconds]