    SubjectRe: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
    On 09/30/05 19:57, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Luben Tuikov wrote:
    >
    >>MPT-based drivers + James Bottomley's "transport attributes"
    >

    > You continue to fail to see that a transport class is more than just
    > transport attributes.
    >
    > You continue to fail to see that working on transport class support IS a
    > transport layer, that includes management.
    >
    > Is you don't understand this fundamental stuff, how can we expect you to
    > get it right?

    From what I see, because of its *layering* position
    JB's "transport attributes" cannot satisfy open transport.

    The reason is that MPT-based drivers indeed do need host template
    in the LLDD.

    Open Transport (SBP/USB/SAS) do not, since the chip is only
    an interface to the transport.

    The host template is implemented by a transport layer,
    say USB Storage or the SAS Transport Layer.

    This allows you to do great things, like layer
    intersection.

    Luben

      Last update: 2005-10-03 16:17    [W:0.045 / U:1.060 seconds]