    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:50:00AM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
    > LKCL> the code for oskit has been available for some years, now,
    > LKCL> and is regularly maintained. the l4linux people have had to
    > My experience with oskit (trying to let students use it for OS course
    > homework) is quite ... underwhelming. It works as long as you try to use
    > it exactly like the developers did and breaks on a slightest sidestep
    > from that road. And there's not much documentation so it's hard to learn
    > where that road might be.
    > Switched to Linux/BSD code hacking with students, the code that actually
    > works.

    Can oskit be worse than nachos where the OS ran outside the memory space
    and cpu with only applications being inside the emulated mips processor?
    Made some things much too easy to do, and other things much to hard
    (like converting an address from user space to kernel space an accessing
    it, which should be easy, but was hard).

    I suspect most 'simple' OS teaching tools are awful. Of course writing
    a complete OS from scratch is a serious pain and makes debuging much
    harder than if you can do your work on top of a working OS that can
    print debug messages.

    Len Sorensen

      Last update: 2005-10-03 20:11    [W:0.020 / U:3.768 seconds]