SubjectRe: Why no XML in the Kernel?
On 2 Oct 2005, Jon Masters suggested tentatively:
> Besides, having a *fully* XML parser/generator in the kernel is
> extremely braindead, even if it's called libkernelxml ("I'm not really
> quite in the kernel really") or something. What's so wrong with really
> simple files being exposed to userspace? Most of these are less than a
> single page of data and it's just dandy like that.

I beat off a suggestion last week[1] that the kernel should `not bother
with any of this /proc and /sys stuff' but just export a single vast
heap of XML, because XML is `properly structured'.

(As opposed to, oh, a filesystem, which is apparently not structured
enough.)

Considerations of ugliness and difficulty of implementing the equivalent
of writes to procs files did not shift the twit: but starting top on a
busy system and showing said twit the CPU load spikes as /proc/[0-9]*
got iterated over, and asking `how severe would this be if *all* of
/proc and /sys had to be generated for every single request?' seems to
have imparted enough clue.

I have a large notice by my desk at work reading simply `XML is not a
panacea'. It's amazing how few people wandering by read it.

[1] by someone who couldn't have implemented it in a month of Sundays,
thankfully

--
`Next: FEMA neglects to take into account the possibility of
fire in Old Balsawood Town (currently in its fifth year of drought