    SubjectRe: [git patches] 2.6.x libata updates

    On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

    > Since GIT is real free software that even purists may use without fear,
    > this downside is certainly not as critical as it was in the BK days.

    I don't think that's the problem.

    It's the learning curve. I don't think git is that hard to use (certainly
    not if you just follow somebody elses tree and occasionally do a "git
    bisect"), but git _is_ different. And if you're not a developer, or even
    if you are, and you're just somebody who has alway sjust used CVS, then
    something like "patch" is simply to understand what it's doing, with
    basically no abstractions anywhere.

    Compared to tar-files + patches, git has a _lot_ of abstract things going
    on that you have to get used to before you aren't intimidated by it.

    And the thing is, the most important bug-reports often come from people
    who aren't necessarily developers - because they are the ones that see a
    bug that none of the developers saw.. So making it easy for people like
    that to test a few different versions is probably important.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:2.556 / U:0.216 seconds]