SubjectRe: Overruns are killing my recordings.
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:57 -0700, Avuton Olrich wrote:
> On 10/27/05, Patrick McFarland <diablod3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I have ecasound output (at bottom) to show that it's getting
> > > interrupted for up to 6 seconds, and all I really need to know is how
> > > I figure out what the problem device driver is, so I can file a more
> > > specific bug.
> >
> > I don't know if ecasound uses jack or not, but jack should be set to use
> > realtime mode. Without realtime, kiss sane low latency auto-input/output
> > goodbye.
>
> ecasound utilizes jack if it's on, which I don't really need so I
> don't run it, but it is taking advantage of SCHED_FIFO. But truely
> this is not what I'm trying to get to. I have something in this
> computer that is interrupting everything +/- 6 seconds and I'd like to
> find out what it is, I'm really just not sure the best way to find out
> what the 'offender' is.

Are you trying to record from the onboard nforce sound device or the
Audigy? Do you have the same problem with the other device?

Make sure ecasound isn't doing something stupid like writing to the disk
from the audio thread, setting the disk IO thread to SCHED_FIFO, passing
data between the audio capture and disk threads in a non RT safe manner,
etc.

Also why are you using an -mm kernel? It's highly experimental. Most
audio people use the -rt kernel.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-10-27 23:13    [W:0.047 / U:0.552 seconds]