    Subjectwhat happened to page_mkwrite? - was: Re: page_mkwrite seems broken

    On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:28 +0000, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Hugh Dickins wrote in another thread:
    > > Isn't this exactly what David Howells' page_mkwrite stuff in -mm's
    > > add-page-becoming-writable-notification.patch is designed for?
    > >
    > > Though it looks a little broken to me as it stands (beyond the two
    > > fixup patches already there). I've not found time to double-check
    > > or test, apologies in advance if I'm libelling, but...
    > >
    > > (a) I thought the prot bits do_nopage gives a pte in a shared writable
    > > mapping include write permission, even when it's a read fault:
    > > that can't be allowed if there's a page_mkwrite.
    > >
    > > (b) I don't understand how do_wp_page's "reuse" logic for whether it
    > > can just go ahead and use the existing anonymous page, would have
    > > any relevance to calling page_mkwrite on a shared writable page,
    > > which must be used and not COWed however many references there are.
    > I have now looked further, and both points still seem valid to me:
    > the page_mkwrite calling code looks doubly broken. (Tested?)
    > Nor has there been any movement on the points raised by Christoph,
    > that aops->page_mkwrite is redundant, and do_wp_page_mk_pte_writable
    > separation unhelpful.
    > I could probably put page_mkwrite to use in tmpfs (to eliminate its
    > unsatisfactory but never over-troubling shmem_recalc_inode), but not
    > as it currently stands.
    > Are you planning any movement on this, David?
    > Or should I have a go sometime?

    What happened with page_mkwrite? It seems to have disappeared both from
    -mm and generally from the face of the earth...

    I am very interested in having such ability for ntfs...

    Is anyone still working on this? If not why not? Did it prove
    impractical or ...?

    If no-one is working on this anymore, where do I find the last "current"

    Thanks a lot in advance!

    Best regards,

    Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at> (replace at with @)
    Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on
    WWW: &

      Last update: 2005-10-24 17:19    [W:0.021 / U:7.852 seconds]