    SubjectRe: Understanding Linux addr space, malloc, and heap
    Vincent W. Freeh wrote:
    > First, thanks for all the help and attention. I am learning much.
    >
    > I think the focus of this discussion should be on mprotect. I
    > understand that spec says it only works on mmap'd memory. So does
    > malloc use mmap? If not why does it work at all?
    >
    > Probably the most problematic issue, tho, is why does mprotect return 0
    > even though it failed to change permissions on the 66th page?

    Do you have code that shows this?

    I tried to change the example in the mprotect man page to loop N times
    (N given on the command line) malloc'ing and mprotect'ing N pages and
    then accessing the N'th page and it always gave SIGSEGV, for any N from
    1 to 100.

    --
    Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

    The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our
    adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain