SubjectLVM Compilation error on 2.6.13.2
I ran into a problem building LVM on a new 2.6.13.2 kernel I built
yesterday. I built the kernel on an older Mandrake 8 system after
updating to the latest gnu binutils. It's very fast... much faster than
my previous 2.4 kernel. I have no complaints about performance.
I was able to build the kernel with the stock gcc-2.96. Disk access is
much quieter than with previous kernels.

I'm not sure if this problem was due to a kernel customization error, but
I got the error "BLKBSZGET undefined (first use this function)" in
LVM2.2.0.14/lib/device/dev-io.c. I added the following definition to the
LVM code in order to enable LVM to compile:

#define BLKBSZGET _IO(0x12,104)

after the #INCLUDE statements in dev-io.c and then LVM 2.2.0.14 compiled
without errors.

My question is this: Was the above problem due to a non-standard kernel
config file, i.e. a kernel lacking support for BLKBSZGET? Or is gcc-2.96
too old, or a bad version? This fix feels like a kludge and before I
configure LVM, I would like to make sure I didn't cause a problem for myself
by adding the above definition to the LVM source code.
I don't want to hard-code a definition in the LVM sources if the same
parameter is supposed to be defined in my environment elsewhere.

From a theoretical standpoint, I am hoping it will not matter, but if anyone
on the list is familiar with BLKBSZGET and knows whether it is supposed to be
a kernel function, I would be delighted to hear your thoughts on the matter.
I'm not sure what effect hard-coding the definition of Block Size will have,
but if there is a standard way to define it, I would like to know about
it.

Regards,

Glendon Gross

  Last update: 2005-10-02 08:42    [W:0.188 / U:0.012 seconds]