    SubjectRe: dentry_cache using up all my zone normal memory
    Marcelo wrote:

    > How can this be reproduced? (point to a URL if you already explained
    > that in detail).

    I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'm running 2.6.14-rc4 on a
    pentium-M based atca blade with a bit over 3GB of memory. When I run
    the "rename14" test from LTP with /tmp mounted on tmpfs, the system runs
    out of zone normal memory and the OOM killer starts killing processes.

    If I have /tmp mounted nfs, the problem doesn't occur. If I use the
    boot args to limit the memory to 896MB the problem doesn't occur. If I
    run the testcase on a dual Xeon with multiple gigs of memory, the
    problem doesn't occur.

    > Someone else on the thread said you had zillions of file descriptors
    > open?

    This does not appear to be the case. The testcase has two threads.

    thread 1 loops doing the following:
    fd = creat("./rename14", 0666);
    unlink("./rename14");
    close(fd);

    thread 2 loops doing:
    rename("./rename14", "./rename14xyz");

    > Need to figure out they can't be freed. The kernel is surely trying it
    > (also a problem if it is not trying). How does the "slabs_scanned" field
    > of /proc/vmstats looks like?

    That's something I haven't checked...will have to get back to you.

    > Bharata maintains a patch to record additional statistics, haven't
    > you tried it already?

    Already tried. You should be able to find results earlier in this thread.

    Chris

      Last update: 2005-10-02 08:07    [W:0.023 / U:1.516 seconds]