    SubjectRe: Why no XML in the Kernel?
    On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 12:02:49PM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
    > Nick Piggin wrote:
    >
    > >Ahmad Reza Cheraghi wrote:
    > >
    > >>Can somebody tell me why the Kernel-Development dont
    > >>wanne have XML is being used in the Kernel??
    > >>

    > >Because nobody has come up with a good reason why it
    > >should be. Same as anything that isn't in the kernel.
    > >
    > >Nick
    > >
    > I have a requirement to pass information from the kernel to user space.
    > The information is passed fairly rarely, but over time extra parameters
    > are added. At the moment we just use a struct, but that means that the
    > kernel and the userspace app have to both keep in step. If something
    > like XML was used, we could implement new parameters in the kernel, and
    > the user space could just ignore them, until the user space is upgraded.
    > XML would initially seem a good idea for this, but are there any methods
    > currently used in the kernel that could handle these parameter changes
    > over time.

    Yes, look at /proc/meminfo for instance. Everytime you need to return
    multiple values from a single file, you can easily do it with one key
    per line using the following syntax :

    key: value [value ...]

    It's also how SMTP and HTTP works and servers often send data that most
    clients simply ignore.

    Regards,
    Willy

      Last update: 2005-10-02 15:56    [W:0.032 / U:0.292 seconds]