SubjectRe: Why no XML in the Kernel?
Nick Piggin wrote:

> Ahmad Reza Cheraghi wrote:
>
>> Can somebody tell me why the Kernel-Development dont
>> wanne have XML is being used in the Kernel??
>>

> Because nobody has come up with a good reason why it
> should be. Same as anything that isn't in the kernel.
>
> Nick

I have a requirement to pass information from the kernel to user space.
The information is passed fairly rarely, but over time extra parameters
are added. At the moment we just use a struct, but that means that the
kernel and the userspace app have to both keep in step. If something
like XML was used, we could implement new parameters in the kernel, and
the user space could just ignore them, until the user space is upgraded.
XML would initially seem a good idea for this, but are there any methods
currently used in the kernel that could handle these parameter changes
over time.

For example, should the sysfs be used for this?

Any comments?

James

  Last update: 2005-10-02 12:05    [W:0.331 / U:0.772 seconds]