SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] Nesting class_device patches that actually work
On 10/18/05, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 03:18:22AM -0400, Adam Belay wrote:

> > > That's a bus, not a class device. Drivers bind to devices through a
> > > bus. That's why we have busses.
> >
> > If class devices and devices belong in the same tree, then clearly the original
> > distinction is artificial. "struct bus_type" is a class of "struct device".
> > "struct class" is a class of "struct class_dev". We now know of devices
> > in between these two extremes (e.g. pci express port driver). It's also
> > possible that drivers will want to bind to class devices (e.g. a partition
> > driver binding to a block device). Isn't it fair to say that the "bus_type"
> > vs. "class" distinction is also artificial? At the very least they are
> > duplicating some code.
>
> I agree and would like to see the "bus" functionality just as set of special
> methods of a unified device struture also used for class devices.

> > > Everything that's currently a platform device go to the root? No,
> > > that's not going to happen, sorry.
>
> But will sticking stuff like "mice" or "tty" into "platform" will really
> work? These devices belong to their own primary class like "input" or "tty" and
> they can not be part of a "bus" at the same time, right?
>
> I'm dreaming of:
> - merging "struct device" and "struct class_device"
>
> - provide current "bus" and "class" methodes for _all_ devices

This way you are fattening object interface and I don't think it is a
good thing. While we may want to have sysfs representation of all
devices be in /sys/devices internally we should keep the interfaces
and implementation clean and do not turn it into a kitchen sink.

--
Dmitry