    SubjectRe: Questions about the CMD640 and RZ1000 bugfix support options
    On Iau, 2005-01-06 at 23:10, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
    > What about the following idea?
    > Both stay enabled by default but the help text explains exactly (as
    > far as possible) which systems are affected.
    > This would help newbies like me to decide if those bugfixes are
    > necessary or not.

    Its the ideal solution. The diff for this is available on your computer
    already - its kept in /dev/null 8)

    The PC-Technologies RZ1000 IDE chip is used on many common 486
    and
    Pentium motherboards, usually along with the "Neptune"
    chipset.
    Unfortunately, it has a rather nasty design flaw that can
    cause
    severe data corruption under many conditions. Say Y here to
    include
    code which automatically detects and corrects the problem
    under
    Linux. This may slow disk throughput by a few percent, but at
    least
    things will operate 100% reliably.

    The CMD-Technologies CMD640 IDE chip is used on many common
    486 and
    Pentium motherboards, usually in combination with a "Neptune"
    or
    "SiS" chipset. Unfortunately, it has a number of rather nasty
    design flaws that can cause severe data corruption under many
    common
    conditions. Say Y here to include code which tries to
    automatically
    detect and correct the problems under Linux. This option also
    enables access to the secondary IDE ports in some CMD640 based
    systems.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.029 / U:1.332 seconds]