SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
Hi!

> > Yes, -mm gives a bit more testing coverage, but it doesn't seem to be
> > enough for this vast amount of changes.
>
> I have to say that with a few minor exceptions the introduction of new
> features hasn't created long term (more than a few days) of problems. And
> we have had that in previous stable versions as well. New features
> themselves may not be totally stable, but in most cases they don't break
> existing features, or are fixed in bk1 or bk2. What worries me is removing
> features deliberately, and I won't beat that dead horse again, I've said
> my piece.
>
> The "few minor exceptions:"
>
> SCSI command filtering - while I totally support the idea (and always
> have), I miss running cdrecord as a normal user. Multisession doesn't work
> as a normal user (at least if you follow the man page) because only root
> can use -msinfo. There's also some raw mode which got a permission denied,
> don't remember as I was trying something not doing production stuff.
>
> APM vs. ACPI - shutdown doesn't reliably power down about half of the
> machines I use, and all five laptops have working suspend and non-working
> resume. APM seems to be pretty unsupported beyond "use ACPI for that."

Go ahead and become APM maintainer... APM needs some care.

Problem is that ACPI needs driver model changes, and those affect APM
too. But noone is using APM these days, so when something breaks
there, it takes long to discover.

So even someone testing APM at regular (like every -rc and every -mm)
basis would help...
Pavel