    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Rahul Karnik wrote:

    > > > Many never machines just don't have APM.
    > >
    > > What's your point? I'm damn sure there are more machines with APM than 386
    > > CPUs, AHA1540 SCSI controllers, or a lot of other supported stuff. Most
    > > machines which have APM at all have a functional power off capability,
    > > which is a desirable thing for most people.
    >
    > The point is not that the kernel should not support APM because it is
    > superceded by ACPI, but that your laptops do not support APM properly.
    > Did they work correctly with APM in 2.4? If so, we have a regression;
    > otherwise complain to the laptop vendor, they do not consider APM to
    > be a high enough priority.

    The ThinkPad, Toshiba, and both Dells work correctly for both shutdown and
    suspend (via the apm -s) using 2.4. I haven't tried the ACER, it's new and
    started life with FC2 and a 2.6 kernel. It does power down correctly, and
    suspend, but doesn't resume so it's not very useful.

    I would complain with details, but the older laptops are now out of
    production, so I am not going to ask someone to divert time to making
    things work on them. The ACER is my current ride along, I would like to
    suspend that.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc