SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Andries Brouwer wrote:
>> You change some stuff. The bad mistakes are discovered very soon.
>> Some subtler things or some things that occur only in special
>> configurations or under special conditions or just with
>> very low probability may not be noticed until much later.
> Some of these subtle bugs are only discovered a year
> after the distribution with some particular kernel has
> been deployed - at which point the kernel has moved on
> so far that the fix the distro does might no longer
> apply (even in concept) to the upstream kernel...
> This is especially true when you are talking about really
> big database servers and bugs that take weeks or months
> to trigger.
There is a reason why people pay big bucks to Redhat (and others) for a
five year contract to back port the bug fixes to the original kernel and
software. Barring some huge change I need, I expect to run AS3.0 for
four more years for one application, "learning experiences" are not a
good thing.

-bill davidsen (