    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Andries Brouwer wrote:
    >
    >> You change some stuff. The bad mistakes are discovered very soon.
    >> Some subtler things or some things that occur only in special
    >> configurations or under special conditions or just with
    >> very low probability may not be noticed until much later.
    >

    > Some of these subtle bugs are only discovered a year
    > after the distribution with some particular kernel has
    > been deployed - at which point the kernel has moved on
    > so far that the fix the distro does might no longer
    > apply (even in concept) to the upstream kernel...
    >
    > This is especially true when you are talking about really
    > big database servers and bugs that take weeks or months
    > to trigger.

    There is a reason why people pay big bucks to Redhat (and others) for a
    five year contract to back port the bug fixes to the original kernel and
    software. Barring some huge change I need, I expect to run AS3.0 for
    four more years for one application, "learning experiences" are not a
    good thing.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)