SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 12:18:36PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > The "few minor exceptions:"
> >
> > SCSI command filtering - while I totally support the idea (and always
> > have), I miss running cdrecord as a normal user. Multisession doesn't work
> > as a normal user (at least if you follow the man page) because only root
> > can use -msinfo. There's also some raw mode which got a permission denied,
> > don't remember as I was trying something not doing production stuff.
> >
> > APM vs. ACPI - shutdown doesn't reliably power down about half of the
> > machines I use, and all five laptops have working suspend and non-working
> > resume. APM seems to be pretty unsupported beyond "use ACPI for that."
>
> More serious were other problems like e.g. the problems XFS has (had?)
> with the 4kB stacks option on i386 that was introduced in 2.6
> after 2.6.0 .

Can't speak for XFS, but the 4k stack issue was an option, and could be
investigated with care. I only found one case where 4k would repeatably
cause a problem, and the fix was in the -bk before I had a decent test
case. I am going to try XFS in a month or so, I have a chance to bench JFS
vs. XFS for an application with 40-50k files in a directory. Hope it works
by then if it doesn't now, I'm told BSD works well.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc