SubjectRe: Compactflash (Sandisk 512) hangs on access

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:07:35 +0100, Willy Tarreau <willy@w.ods.org> wrote:
> Have you checked that the power connector really provides 5V to the
> IDE-CF adapter ? I had the exact same behaviour 5 years ago with a power
> wire cut. Signal lines were powerful enough to bring power to the cheap
> flash (16 MB), I could even read it, most times. The kernel almost always
> booted from it, and when it turned to mount the ext2 fs R/W, it hanged. I
> finally partially destroyed it this way, and it got several defects which
> could not be cleaned with a simple write or format.
>
> Other than that, I have lots of CF cards on IDE adapters (some on motherboard,
> some hand-made, some bought to serious makers), and never ran into such
> problems since.
>
> Willy

The power connector is fine.

I also disabled DMA (some suggestion on this newsgroup to a similar
error) and now I can't turn it back on.

<snip>
everest root # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.062 / U:0.508 seconds]